The Institute for Ecology of Industrial Areas (IETU) is a research institute acting under the Minister of Climate and Environment. The research and services offered by IETU focus on environmental challenges posed by industrialised and urbanised areas in the context of circular economy, resource efficiency, adaptation to climate change and mitigation of its effects.
Partner involvement in the UPSURGE project
- Develop a methodology to evaluate NBS in urban air quality and climate neutrality performance based on key performance indicators (KPIs) of the social, economic, and environmental benefits of ecosystem services provided by the NBS.
- Work with the demonstration city to properly implement all solutions provided by the project.
- Support the demonstration cities in the proper implementation of NBS-based urban solutions and the implementation of technical monitoring solutions.
- Ensure proper stakeholder participation in decision making.
- Provide support for the assessment of the environmental functionality of NBS, including the determination of active CO2 use in cities through NBS.
- Creates an Urban Regenerative Development Clearinghouse to assess and support cities in their transition to a regenerative future. It will act as an intermediary body between stakeholders in the implementation of NBS. Its main role will be to assist cities in verifying that the specific NBS to be implemented is technically, environmentally, socially, financially and spatially feasible and the best option.
- Coordinate tasks regarding communication and dissemination of project knowledge to stakeholders, target groups and wider public.